Image Map

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Key Lime Cupcakes

I really wish this weather would decide one way or the other if it's Winter or Spring. I was totally diggin' the warmer weather (again, not so much the pollen), but now it's started cooling off again. Dear Hubby thinks that it's perfectly normal to sleep with the windows open when it's 29 degrees outside! Wha?? Well now that I have him feeling bad about me freezing he decided to be nice and close them. Because it's been feeling pretty chilly around here, I decided to go on a little stay-cation. Well, sort of. Mostly just in my mind. I envisioned sitting on the beach, warm sand between my toes, drinking a nice fruity drink with those little umbrellas and snacking on one of these, A Key Lime Pie Cupcake.


Then I opened my eyes and realized I was sitting in my kitchen, cracker crumbs between my toes (wonder who those are from), oven door open drinking a Diet Mt. Dew (I know, I live on the wild side!) Hey, a girl can dream right? At least this cupcake is for real!

I've tried doing Key Lime Cupcakes in the past and have struggled with the question whether to do the frosting as the key lime and the cake as the graham cracker or the other way around. I've done it both ways, in fact I think I've tried 4 different recipes at this point, and finally I found one I like love!

There are very few ingredients needed for this cupcake, which makes it even more loveable. Here's what you'll need.
Key Lime Pie Cupcakes
1 Lemon Cake Mix
1 box (4 serving) Lime Jell-O
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup Key lime juice
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 8 oz package cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners. Set aside.
Mix together cake mix, Jell-O, lime juice, oil, water, and eggs in a mixing bowl until all ingredients are well combined.
Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.
Bake for 15-18 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched. Remove from oven.
Remove cupcakes from tins and cool on wire racks.
In a mixing bowl combine cream cheese and butter. Slowly add in powdered sugar until mixed well. Add in a little milk until smooth. Mix in 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs. Combine well.
Place 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs in a small bowl.
Once cupcakes are cooled completely, pipe or spread frosting onto cupcakes and then dip the tops into the graham cracker crumbs.

Now that you've made these tropical delights, whisk yourself off to the deserted island in your mind, sit back, relax, and enjoy!



15 comments:

  1. I love that the cupcakes are the lime! Yum! And I loved that you used the jell-o mix. So. Many. Ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these look fabulous! How could they not be yummy between the lime jello and the lemon cake??!! Yummmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, Key Lime is my absolute favorite! I swear my diet just keeps moving back farther and farther on the calender! Can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks for linkin' up this week.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing! Can't wait to try them!

    Kaylee @ Couponing & Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you decorated these. You did it so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look like too much fun. Thanks for sharing them on Foodie Friday, hope to see you back next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband loves key lim pie! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a blessed week ~EMM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum.E!! I'm excited to try this! Thanks for sharing such a lovely cupcake recipe so fitting for spring and summer! New follower here too (found you via The NY Melrose Family Linky :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound delicious! I love the picture of it on top of the limes. The weather here in NY is crazy too. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays at The NY Melrose Family .

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look amazing! I would love for you to share with my Linky Party Blog Stalking Thursday. I think my readers would really like these! Thanks for the recipe!

    http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/2012/04/blog-stalking-thursday-37.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/04/show-your-stuff-20.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. yum!!! Thanks for sharing on Serenity Saturday xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look great! Thanks so much for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum - this looks just fantastic! It has been featured in this week's edition of Makin' You Crave Monday - come on over & take a look! Would love to have you link up again this week! :) ~Crystal, MrsHappyHomemaker.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kim, these look amazing!! LOVE anything key lime. I'm featuring you at tomorrow's Mop It Up Monday {coming out later tonight}! Hope you've had a wonderful weekend!

    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete