Image Map

Monday, April 23, 2012

Herta's Fruit Cobbler

Looking for Sweet & Simple Sunday? Click here and link up your favorites, sweets, treats, and anything neat!! 
Isn't it crazy how things change as we get older?
I was reading this post at Paint Speckled Pawprints earlier this week that immediatly took me back to 1998. Although my experience at The University of Toledo was nothing like that, I still have thousands of vivid memories of it.
I was in my Sophmore year at The University of Toledo.
I was majoring in Administrative Office Assisting, I was Public Relations V.P. of my Sororotiy, Alpha Xi Delta, I was dating my high school sweetheart, and my roommate had access to Malley's Chocolates. One of the best chocolatiers on the entire planet (well, of the one's I've tried).
Everything was great, except for one thing.
I was 2 hours away from my entire family, including my future hubby.
I was homesick.
I loved being in college, but I wanted to be home.
I made a decision to change my life path, and to come home and finish my degree at Wright State University. I'm so glad I did. Sure, there are those days that I wish I would have finished there, but I'm so grateful for all of the experiences I had, and the people I met, both at UT and at WSU that I would't change it for the world.
My days slowly changed after graduating. I went from being a carefree college student, to being a full-time employee, a wife, and eventually a mom.
Before we had kids though, my hubby and I had some friends that we would spend almost every weekend with.  Typically we'd be hanging around a campfire, filling up on snacks and adult beverages. Myself, I've never been much of a drinker, but there's just something about sitting around a fire enjoying a nice wine cooler or Zima (how's that for a flashback!)
We've all grown up a little since then.
There have been marriages, divorces, babies, new homes, sickness, surgeries, deaths.
But one thing has stayed constant.
The knowledge that if any of us need anything, the others will be there to help.
This recipe was always a favorite of  ours around those campfires.
In fact, everytime that we take our family camping now this is the first thing that goes in the camp box to make for dessert.
Herta's Fruit Cobbler
Herta is like a second mom to all of us.
She's one of the strongest women I know.
An amazing mom & grandma.
She's had a tough life, but with the help of her family and friends she greets each day with a smile, no matter what it may bring.
I remember so many times Herta hanging out with us, laughing, smiling, and just being one of us.
I miss her. I know I should just pick up the phone, or just stop by, but some how, life always seems to get in the way.
I make this cobbler as my own personal tribute to her. I helps me remember the good 'ole days.
When we make this, we typically use cherry pie filling, but it is great with any other filling you can find. Canned or homemade, both work just great. This recipe is so easy to make. Like I said I make this both at home and around the campfire. I'll give you both ways.
First, here's what you need:

1 can cherry pie filling (or whatever flavor you'd like)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk

This is what you do:
First-the oven version:
1. In a large glass or ceramic bowl melt butter in microwave, set aside.
2. In a seperate bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and milk. Stir until combined well.
3. Pour sugar mixture on top of melted butter, DO NOT STIR.
4. Open pie filling and pour on top of butter & batter, again, DO NOT STIR.
5. Bake at 350 for 55 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and, if you can wait, allow it to cool before serving.

Next-the campfire version:
1. In a dutch oven, melt butter over medium fire (make sure you don't scorch it).
2. In a large ziploc bag combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and milk. Squish it around until it's all mixed up really well (no clumps).
3. Snip corner of bag and pour it into dutch oven, on top of butter, DO NOT STIR.
4. Pour in pie filling on top of batter, again, DO NOT STIR.
5. Place lid on dutch oven, lower closer to fire, place coals on top of lid, and allow to bake over the fire for 30 minutes.
6. Remove coals from top, open lid, and check top for doneness (it should be golden brown)
7. Remove from fire and serve.

I'm telling you, this cobbler is so good and so easy!
We enjoy it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or personally, I enjoy  it right out of the bowl!
I'm not picky!
Mix some up, bake it up, and invite over those friends that you swear you're going to call next weekend! Make the call now! Life doesn't last forever!


Stars and Stripes Blog Button

10 comments:

  1. Ah, Zima. My drink of choice in the 90s. (Pre-21 and Post-21!) Now I'm kinda craving it. This cobbler looks amazing, so yummy. And what a great tribute too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy!! I'm pinning it and taking it camping this summer, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks too good and you are so creative! Your newest follower! Can you please add this recipe to my Taste This Thursday party!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Just linked up and added you to my list of Link Parties!

      Delete
  4. Herta sounds like an amazing woman! So glad you shared this and I will definitely be making it! Would love if you'd share on my red, white and blue themed party called Stars and Stripes! This would be perfect for July 4th.

    Have a great weekend!
    Michelle @ teagan's travels

    http://teaganstravels.blogspot.com/2012/04/stars-and-stripes-party.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just linked up! Thanks for stopping by and thanks for inviting me over!

      Delete
  5. This has always been our go-to cobbler recipe since I was a kid, except we always used canned peaches. It's been awhile since I've made one...now I'm going to have to, maybe with cherries this time! :) Thanks so much for sharing at the Rock N Share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh, I love fruit cobblers and anything that uses canned pie filling! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a blessed week and hope to see you again next Sunday ~EMM

    ReplyDelete
  7. CONGRATULATIONS !!! Your RECIPE is being featured today at Menu and Party Idea Round Up from Cast Party Wednesday #38!
    http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?p=28499
    Thank you for sharing your RECIPE with us!
    ---Sheryl---

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW this looks DELISH! I found you through Michelle's Party~
    I'm also hosting one- Red, White and BLue- link up anything with those colors and Patriotic pictures, crafts and recipes!

    I"d love for you to join in. Mine is also a contest and I will pin all post that link up on Pinterest!

    Come join the fun! Susie
    http://cafescrapper-scrapsoflife.blogspot.com/2012/05/link-up-anything-patriotic-25-amazon.html

    ReplyDelete