2 posts in one day. I'm just crazy like that! I couldn't help it, I had to share these tasty morsels!!
It's winter here in the great state of Ohio. It's a cool, rainy, 40 degrees. Yes, I said WINTER! No need to go into that again, I don't want all of my posts to be about the weather in Ohio.
Anyways, Tiramisu Cupcakes.
For those of you that have ever tasted Tiramisu it is made up of a very light and fluffy filling with a whipped cream topping and ladyfinger cakes. Personally the only kind I've ever tasted is from Olive Garden. I'm sure the traditional Italian, homemade version is much better, but hey, I don't live anywhere close to Italy, so Olive Garden will have to do.
Today I decided to try it in a cupcake. With a simple request from a friend, I searched for a recipe that I thought sounded good. As always, I didn't have to search too far. Stef at Cupcake Project has a Tiramisu Cupcake recipe that sounds absolutley wonderful. Here's her recipe, with a few of my little changes (of course, since she has perfected this recipe I don't have to do much to make myself happy).
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well blended.
- Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.
- Boil gently for 1 minute, remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly.
- Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator 1 hour.
- Remove from refrigerator and whisk in mascarpone until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine coffee and rum.
- Drizzle approximately 1 tbsp of the coffee/rum mixture over the cupcakes (if you want them a little more "soaked" you can always add more)
- Spread the mascarpone mixture over the soaked ladyfingers.
- Pipe or spread the whipped cream over the mascarpone.
- Sprinkle with cocoa powder.
- Optionally, top with chocolate curls.
- Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours, until set.
So what's up next, well you'll have to check back and see just what we venture into. If I remember correctly there's a big game or something coming up! See ya soon!!