Image Map

Friday, February 24, 2012

A day at the office

It's Friday. It's February, and it's cold outside. Where am I sitting? At a black formica countertop, surrounded by techologically-overachieving computer parts, behind a sliding glass window, staring blankly out a mini-blind covered window (hey at least there's a window). This is a view into my daily life.


Well, kind of. You see, I work in a medical office, this beautiful office space here is our satellite office, usually I'm perched upon my billing department chair, surrounded by four walls and a door, calculating away.


As I sat here this morning I was reflecting at my life and my career. I've been working for this office for about 13 years now. I have seen people come, and people go. Marriages, new babies, amazing friendships move to different states (although she did come back to the great state of Ohio), and each and every one of us change in ways we never even knew we could.  I love this office. I love the people I work with. I love how we are such a close group of people that we're almost like a set of Septuplets that have been raised by two Dads. We finish each other's sentences. We know what the others are thinking. We have our spats, we apologize and we go on. We've learned so much together. We've had our good days and bad. We've had our fights over bathrooms and cell phone time, and we still enjoy seeing each other every day. Over the past year we've struggled and we're slowly getting through and back to a state of organization.

As much as I love this place and the people in it, something for me has changed. I have decided to become a baker and a blogger. I feel like it has taken over my life. I feel like there are so many things that I want to do and see and blog about. I have a problem. I'm an addict. A blogging addict. (Quietly in my head I'm hearing, "Hi Kim" in a soft, 12 step program voice).

I would love to bake and blog full-time, but I just can't do that right now. So for this chapter of my life, I get up, go to my day job, come home, bake and blog. There have been many late nights and early weekend mornings, but to me, it's worth it. As I mentioned at the very beginning of this adventure, I feel like God is telling me to follow my heart. Listen to Him. Do what He is telling me to do. Some days I wish His voice was loud enough to hear over the screams and cries of my 6 year and 20 month old, but I know that He is still there. How do I know this? I talk to Him. Alot. Each and every day sitting by myself surrounded by my 4 office walls or my mini-van doors, we talk. About everything. And He talks back. It may not be at the exact time that I think it should be, but at the exact time He feels I need to hear it. God has blessed me with such amazing grace in the last 33 years of life and He continues to amaze me every single day.

I'm on this journey because He has shown me that it will all work out in the end. That He has a plan for me and my life. That I'm not just here to sit in a corner. I'm here to help others, to spread His word, and to be a child of God just as He created me to be.

Wow! Is all I have to say. I'm truely amazed at how things have changed in my life over the past 10 years and I wouldn't want it any other way. I love my everyday life. The craziness of motherhood, wife-hood, full-time working outside of the home-hood, and baking and blogging-hood! I love it all and feel so blessed and grateful for every single thing God has lead me to, and through.

I continue on this journey one day at a time. I have so many things I want to do and say. A dear friend once told me, "Don't worry about saying the right thing, just ask God for guidance and He will give you the right words". I've never been one to have the quick come back line, or be able to quote the verse from the Bible, but I say it how I feel it needs to be said and just pray that the words from my mouth will be a reflection of Him and His wisdom.

This blog has become such a creative outlet for me. I know that some will ask why I do it and why I digress on different topics, but to me, it's my release. It's my chance to show everyone that I don't have a perfect life. That my life is full of messes, both in my house and in my mind, and that I work through them as much as I can. It's a daily struggle to get through this life, but for some unknown reason, God keeps bringing me through it.

I know this post has turned totally away from recipes or cupcakes, but this is how my day has been today so far. Tonight, bring on the cupcakes and the Thin Mint Popcorn (I'll post about that later). So until then, I bid you all a very happy, blessed day!

Oh, and by the way, I did type this whole blog today on my lunch hour, I wasn't actually sitting staring out the window with a blank stare :o) 

2 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration Kim! I'm enjoying seeing what God is doing in your love. Keep looking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...that was suppose to be "in your life" not "love" :)

    ReplyDelete