Image Map

Friday, March 9, 2012

Red Bull Cupcakes...They Give You Wings



Unless you're one of the lucky ones to live in Arizona or Hawaii, you get to partake in Daylight Savings Time this weekend. The one day of the year that an hour of sleep is stripped away from you without even offering a consolation prize. Daylight Savings Time and I have a love-hate relationship.

Love: That somehow the day gets a little longer, or at least the sunlight does (and yes, I know this wouldn't happen without daylight savings time).

Hate: That I loose an hour of sleep. In my life, that extra hour of sleep is an absolute must. Oh and another thing I hate, is how it messes up baby kiddos schedule.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad. But, I always feel like I'm living one hour behind the entire world for like 6 months. And then, well, I feel like I'm living an hour ahead because we "fall-back" an hour and in my little mind it's supposed to be 8:00 when it's only 7:00. It's so confusing to me why all of this happens. It makes me tired just thinking about it.

So because of this earthly schedule, I'm sleep deprived, I'm tired, and I need a pick-me-up. What better to accomplish this than with a Red Bull Cupcake (they give you wings)!

These cupcakes turned out so good! They have this beautiful, happy, energetic red color to them, that just makes you feel awake when you look at them.  I decided to top these cupcakes with Red Bull Buttercream and of course Wings!

Here's what you'll need!

For the Cupcakes:
3/4 cup softened unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

1/3 cup whole milk
6 ozs energy drink (Make sure you use the full strenght Red Bull. No sugar free stuff here!)
1 oz food coloring (red)
For the Frosting:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
2-4 tablespoons milk
food coloring (blue)
Here's how you do it!
1. Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.
2. Add in eggs, one at a time.
3. Add in milk and food coloring (mix in as much color as you prefer. I used about 1/2 oz.)
4.  In a seperate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
5. Slowly add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Pour in 3 oz of the Red Bull. Add in another 1/3 of the dry, followed by the remaining 3 oz of Red Bull. Finally add in remaining dry ingredients and mix until fully encorported.
6. Scrape down sides of bowl.
7. Line 24 cupcake pans.
8. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter.
9. Bake on 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until tops bounce back when touched.
10. Remove from oven, cool on racks for 5 minutes and then remove from pans and continue to cool on racks.
11. Combine butter and shortening, add in vanilla. Slowly add in powdered sugar one cup at a time. You may need to slowly add milk until desired consistency is reached for frosting. Add in food coloring as desired.
11. Once cups are cooled, top with frosting and serve!
I still can't believe how well these cupcakes turned out. They have a sweet tart flavor to them, kind of like, well Red Bull :o) Now, let's see just how much energy it gives me! Happy Daylight Savings Time everyone! Enjoy your loss of an hour of sleep & extra hour of daylight!

Peace. Love. Cupcakes.
Kim


Check out where I'm linked up!

             




Button
I Heart Nap Time

Mrs Happy Homemaker

4 comments:

  1. they look sooooooooooooo cute
    Really adorable and I just love the coloring

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are hilarious! Too cute and just what I think everyone needs today. You could make a killing selling these for breakfast the day after DLS!! Thanks for sharing on Church Supper. Have a blessed week and see you again next Sunday! ~EMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for linking to Must Try Monday. What a GREAT way to put a smile on our faces while we've lost an hour of sleep!

    ReplyDelete