Image Map

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Cheesy Velveeta Spaghetti

Cheesy Velveeta Spaghetti

There are so many times when I can’t help but think back to my younger days. I had a pretty good childhood. Both parents still at home, older brother who did the typical older brother things, like push me into kitchen cabinets (everyone’s brothers did that right?), wonderful Grandparents who taught me a lot of things about life.
I know I’ve mentioned them before, and I’ve been thinking a lot about them again lately. It’s kind of funny.  I can see now just how different my relationships were with both sets of Grandparents. One side, my dad’s parents, I saw regularly. They were a dominant fixture in my life. We spent birthdays, holidays, alot of days at their house. I can remember my grandpa’s workshop in the basement, and playing “Post Office” on the stairs leading up to their Red Velvet wallpapered bedroom (yeah, I know, apparently it was in back in the ‘70s).
On the other hand, my mom’s parents we saw mostly on Holidays. I’m not sure why. Maybe because they lived further away from our house, I’m not quite sure, but I’m okay with that now, because the times we did spend there I can remember so vividly.
I remember her house as if I were standing in the middle of it right now.  How she always talked about her “davenport”. When I was little I never had any idea what a “davenport” was. To me, it’s a couch. I guess that’s a perfect example of the generation gap. I remember her burnt orange counter tops. And when I’d get to spend the night with her we would sleep in her wrought iron framed bed that I could barely climb up into. I remember taking a bath in her claw foot bathtub that sat in its own little room off of her bedroom.  Every time I smell pink Dove soap I think about her. I miss her. She has to be one of the strongest people I have ever known in my life.
 She lived a hard life. She spent many of her last days not knowing herself, her family, or anything going on around her. As a friend of mine put it, she was Happily Confused.  She got to start each day over, living it as if nothing had ever happened. I don’t know if she was okay with that or not. But seeing her from my point of view, it was difficult. I wanted her to jump up from her chair, put her arms around me, and tell me how happy she was to see me and my mom. I know that I should have spent more time with her, but I can’t change that now. My way of remembering her and passing on her traditions and honor is by making a lot of the fantastic recipes that she used to make. (Okay, wipe the tears dry. Sorry.)

One of Grandma Shepherd’s recipes that I make on a pretty regular basis is this one, Cheesy Velveeta Spaghetti.  I only remember having this a couple of times at Grandma’s house, but I remember as a kid my mom used to make this a lot. It’s a quick, easy, and tasty meal. And for those of you who partake in “left over recipes” this one is perfect.  Pair this with a nice salad and garlic bread and its dinner served!  

Here’s what you’ll need:
1/2 pound ground beef
1 large can tomato sauce
1 small can of sliced mushrooms
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, diced
1 pound Velveeta, cubed
Spaghetti noodles (this use your own judgment, however much you think you’ll need)

Here’s what you’ll do:
Brown your hamburger in a skillet and drain off the fat. Add in your onions and garlic. Sautee on low for a few minutes. Add in tomato sauce, and continue to cook on low. Add in Velveeta cubes, stirring to melt all of the cheese. Add in the mushrooms.  In a separate pan, boil water and cook spaghetti noodles. Drain noodles and mix into cheese sauce mixture.
Now, some of my family members (myself mainly) don’t like it mixed together like this, so if that’s the case in your house, just leave some of the noodles separate and spoon cheese sauce over the noodles. 
I hope that your family enjoys this recipe as much as mine does! Thanks Grandma Eva for this amazing recipe!


Come check out where I'm partying this week!

Everyday Mom's Meals
Our Delightful Home

6 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy. I can't wait to make this. Thanks for sharing. I would love it if you could link this up to our linky party going on right now.
    http://www.junkintheirtrunk.blogspot.com/2012/03/link-it-up-wednesday-21.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!!! My boys would love this b/c they love Velveeta! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a blessed week & hope to see you again next week ~EMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I would love for you to link up at my Linky Party via: www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    PS: I am your newest Linky Follower!

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kim for sharing this at Scrumptious Sunday! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! Thanks for linking up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We love having you and hope you'll be back next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete