Image Map

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Ohio State Buckeye Ice Cream Cupcake

I've never considered myself a social butterfly.
I knew when I went to college that I'd be the paranoid friend.
"Well, how are we going to get home?"
"I'm underage!"
"I just don't feel comfortable using a fake ID to get into Canada. It would be my luck I'd be stuck there"
"My parents would kill me!!"
And even though I was the paranoid one when it came to, well...social events, I was first in line for the, "I'm finally 18, away from home, and have my own money, tattoo."
Yep. Out of all of my friends that night, I was the only one who came home with Ink.
That was my rebellious moment in college.
I loved college.
The fall football games. The dorms (yeah, I'm weird). The freedom from being away from home.
My lovelies of Alpha Xi Delta. It was great!
I'm from Ohio, and to most kids in Ohio the only college to go to is
The Ohio State University
but for me, that spell ANXIETY in every language.
So instead, I went to the great
University of Toledo.
I loved it and I miss that campus so much.
But I have to tell you, I am a huge OSU Football Fan!
And I am positive God knew what he was doing when he put me here on Earth in Ohio because I LOVE Buckeyes. And I'm not talking football or tree's here people.
The candy.
Have you tried them?
If you haven't, obviously you have not experienced one of the greatest candies in the world!
So when I saw the ad for this
 I decided to pay homage to my home state of Ohio and make a Buckeye inspired cupcake ! Or what I would like to refer to as
The Ohio State Buckeye Ice Cream Cupcake
This is the Cupcake Project and Scoopalicious 5th Annual Ice Cream Cupcake Contest!
A chance for bakers everywhere to showcase their Ice Cream Cupcake creations for a chance at $250.00 to their favorite cooking/baking store and many other "sweet" prizes!
I've seen this post on Cupcake Project for the last few years and decided this year I wanted in on the action. So I decided to go with
The Ohio State Buckeye Ice Cream Cupcake
It's a mix of my most favorite chocolate cupcake, homemade peanut butter ice cream, peanut butter and chocolate topping.
Yum with a capital Y!!
I am totally addicted to these!
And they're pretty simple to make. Here's what you'll need!

For the Cupcakes:
1 Devil's Food Cake Mix
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup sour cream, room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 small box of Chocolate Jell-O Instant Pudding
3/4 cup Guinness beer, room temperature

For the Peanut Butter Ice Cream:
1 cup Half and Half
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

Toppings:
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter, melted but cooled.
Chocolate Magic Shell Ice Cream Topping

Here's what you do!

In a large mixing bowl combine eggs and sour cream. Mix well.
Add in Pudding Mix.
Slowly add in melted butter, mix well.
Alternatly add cake mix and beer, mix just until it is mixed together. Do not overmix.
Fill cupcake wrappers 2/3 full and bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.
Remove from pans and allow to cool completly.

In a small ziploc bag combine Half & Half and Sugar.
Fill a large (gallon) ziploc bag half full of ice. Pour salt into large bag.
Place small ziploc bag inside large bag, be sure both bags are sealed completely.
Shake bags for 5 minutes.
Remove small bag and carefully rinse bag with cold water.
Pour ice cream into a small bowl.
Mix in creamy peanut butter.
Place in freezer and allow to set for 30-40 minutes.

Once cupcakes have cooled, remove wrappers and slice in half. Place bottom slice of cupcake into a clean cupcake wrapper.
Spoon some ice cream onto bottom half of the cupcake and place the top half of the cupcake back on top.
Spoon some peanut butter topping over the cupcake top.
Place some of the ice cream into a piping bag and pipe a swirl of it on top of the cupcake.
Cover the ice cream "frosting" with Chocolate Magic Shell topping.
Dive in with a big spoon!!!

This was so much fun. I went through so many ideas in my head before I decided on this cupcake and although all of those ideas sound delicious,  I couldn't pass up the chance to mix peanut butter and chocolate!
I hope all of you enjoy these AH-MA-ZING Cupcakes!!!


16 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD KIMBERLY!!! How have we not had the "I'm a huge Ohio State fan!" "Oh my god! Me too!" "Yeah, I make Buckeyes every year for the game against that state up north, and we watch 'The Rivalry' the night before the big game." "I think I'm in love" conversation?

    I'm totally stunned by these cupcakes. Otto is freaking out over them and saying he wants a "tuptate" - C's are T's around here right now. :) Seriously. I'm speechless. I think I'm just freaking out that I didn't know you were a Buckeyes girl too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie you are hilarious! Isn't it a small world out there! We have a candy store here locally that makes buckeyes all year and they do specialty candy boxes with all OSU stuff! Yeah, I intentionally have to stay away from the store!! Maybe we should do a OSU football party in the fall!!!

      Delete
  2. These look so good, Oh I have to try to make an ice cream cupcake how much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun trying to come up with something, there are so many great ideas. What could go wrong with ice cream and cupcakes!

      Delete
  3. Small world!! My family is from Ohio and live just outside of Toledo ... this is a Buckeye household, too!! Oh, and that cupcake looks AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! It's so fun to get to know where everyone is from!! Go Bucks!!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Holy cow. THAT IS AMAZING. You blow my mind, lady. :) And I'm like you - I was (still am) always the cautious one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, this looks amazing!! I am also from Ohio and also a HUGE fan of Buckeyes - these cupcakes are an awesome interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have a bunch of Bucks Fans here! Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  6. Oh My GOOD HOLY GOD!!!! WOW! I am licking my computer screen.... please don't make fun of me!! :) Kim- Oh Kim- This is Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow, these look awesome. So ooey and gooey and melty and DELICIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great intro story, (totally unrelated but...) great font on your site, and finally, what a yummy tribute. Might have to make these for my peanut butter loving husband. If he's good. Otherwise, I'll eat them all!

    Thanks for entering. Best of luck!

    Bethany@Scoopalicious

    ReplyDelete